Intermarkets' Privacy Policy

Donate to Ace of Spades HQ!

Recent Entries
Absent Friends
Bandersnatch 2024
GnuBreed 2024
Captain Hate 2023
moon_over_vermont 2023
westminsterdogshow 2023
Ann Wilson(Empire1) 2022
Dave In Texas 2022
Jesse in D.C. 2022
OregonMuse 2022
redc1c4 2021
Tami 2021
Chavez the Hugo 2020
Ibguy 2020
Rickl 2019
Joffen 2014
AoSHQ Writers Group
A site for members of the Horde to post their stories seeking beta readers, editing help, brainstorming, and story ideas. Also to share links to potential publishing outlets, writing help sites, and videos posting tips to get published. Contact OrangeEnt for info:
maildrop62 at proton dot me
Cutting The Cord And Email Security
Moron Meet-Ups

TradeSports Gives Bush Big Electoral College Edge | Main | The Choice: Must-Watch
October 28, 2004

Democratic Consultant: "If Bush Wins, We Will Make This Country Ungovernable By Christmas"

You may have thought that since the site was down, I took off the day to attend to personal business. You couldn't be more wrong. Ace of Spades HQ does not sleep and will not falter, and during the down-time, your intrepid correspondent crashed a roundtable discussion hosted by the Manhattan Institute/Fabiani Society. In attendance were Kathryn Lopez of NRO, Robert A. George of the New York Post (I believe), and John Fund of the Wall Street Journal.

I also wandered the streets for a bit, keying every car which displayed a pro-Bush bumper sticker, so that this petty political vandalism would be blamed on fascist leftists. I do for you and I keep doing for you. (If it was your car-- sorry, but you can't make an omlette without keying a couple of cars.)

At any rate, John Fund had several interesting things to say about the upcoming election.

First of all, he's fairly confident of a Bush victory.

Second of all, he finds it silly that the Dems are putting so much stock in the polls being wrong at this point. Dems believe that all these "new voters" will save them; I believe he pointed out that Republicans have enlisted nearly as many new voters. Further, Dems continue to believe that people using cell-phones aren't being polled enough, and that these "hidden voters" will save the liberals' bacon. Fund says that pollsters do attempt to compensate for this, and furthermore, there are other ways to reach such voters, and also that there aren't many people who rely solely on a cell phone for communication.

He didn't make the obvious point-- why should one assume this army of cell-phone users is especially liberal? Maybe there's some data indicating they do skew to the left.

Third, he thinks it's 75% likely the election will result in a clear win for one candidate or another. There's a 15% chance of disputed election that will take several weeks to resolve -- with lots of litigation and recounts -- and a 10% chance of a full political meltdown that will be worse than Florida. He thinks that would obviously be bad for our democracy, and who can argue with that? I don't want to overstate things, but we're kinda-sorta close to a really nasty period of unending political warfare. I'll have more scary-insightful comments on that later, as Josh Marshall would say.

But the real news was Fund's report of a conversation he had with a Democratic consultant, whose name, he said, we'd all know. He didn't say the guy's name, but he said he had spoken to him in the green room during the taping of a recent show.

Fund asked what he thought of the election, and this man said, "Off the record, I think Kerry just might lose." But he then continued (paraphrased): "That doesn't mean it's over, though. Democrats will protest and fight so strongly that Bush won't have a win even if he wins. We will obstruct so much that this country will be ungovernable by Christmas."

That's what we're faced with, guys. It's imperative you vote to not only re-elect the President (whoops-- guess I let the cat out of the bag re: my endorsement), but to re-elect him fairly comfortably, to actually give him a mandate and prevent the full-scale political meltdown of this country.

Democractic government and internal political peace are not necessarily permanent features, not even in America, although we've muddled along well enough for so long that it might seem that way. Other countries have suddenly been faced with political crises and political violence and yes, even civil war. (I guess we've had all that too, but not for some time.)


digg this
posted by Ace at 02:54 PM

| Access Comments

Recent Comments
Bertram Cabot, Jr.: " Dog gets unexpected wake-up nudge https://t ..."

Dandor the Realanator: "Captain Obvious, I kinda wondered myself, but as i ..."

Itinerant Alley Butcher: "Took watermelon rinds to our six chickens. Make t ..."

Kindltot: "I now have 8 half pints of jam, and the canning se ..."

Ciampino - kitten update #02: "I notice the thread is a bit slow today. Heck the ..."

Bertram Cabot, Jr.: " [i]Adorable dog and fawn playing. Thanks. Poste ..."

Art Rondelet of Malmsey: "Northernlurker-- We went through a bit of a lea ..."

Cat Ass Trophy : "What a weekend. One of the oak ridge boys She ..."

Northernlurker , wondering where his phone is : "She may stay close now so she can physically alert ..."

nurse ratched : "And Lucy the Fink sends greetings and salutations ..."

Catch Thirty-Thr33: "Not long after his initial cancer diagnosis, my fa ..."

mikeski: "[i]Precious the Bichon has a new trick. She has de ..."

Recent Entries

Polls! Polls! Polls!
Frequently Asked Questions
The (Almost) Complete Paul Anka Integrity Kick
Top Top Tens
Greatest Hitjobs

The Ace of Spades HQ Sex-for-Money Skankathon
A D&D Guide to the Democratic Candidates
Margaret Cho: Just Not Funny
More Margaret Cho Abuse
Margaret Cho: Still Not Funny
Iraqi Prisoner Claims He Was Raped... By Woman
Wonkette Announces "Morning Zoo" Format
John Kerry's "Plan" Causes Surrender of Moqtada al-Sadr's Militia
World Muslim Leaders Apologize for Nick Berg's Beheading
Michael Moore Goes on Lunchtime Manhattan Death-Spree
Milestone: Oliver Willis Posts 400th "Fake News Article" Referencing Britney Spears
Liberal Economists Rue a "New Decade of Greed"
Artificial Insouciance: Maureen Dowd's Word Processor Revolts Against Her Numbing Imbecility
Intelligence Officials Eye Blogs for Tips
They Done Found Us Out, Cletus: Intrepid Internet Detective Figures Out Our Master Plan
Shock: Josh Marshall Almost Mentions Sarin Discovery in Iraq
Leather-Clad Biker Freaks Terrorize Australian Town
When Clinton Was President, Torture Was Cool
What Wonkette Means When She Explains What Tina Brown Means
Wonkette's Stand-Up Act
Wankette HQ Gay-Rumors Du Jour
Here's What's Bugging Me: Goose and Slider
My Own Micah Wright Style Confession of Dishonesty
Outraged "Conservatives" React to the FMA
An On-Line Impression of Dennis Miller Having Sex with a Kodiak Bear
The Story the Rightwing Media Refuses to Report!
Our Lunch with David "Glengarry Glen Ross" Mamet
The House of Love: Paul Krugman
A Michael Moore Mystery (TM)
The Dowd-O-Matic!
Liberal Consistency and Other Myths
Kepler's Laws of Liberal Media Bias
John Kerry-- The Splunge! Candidate
"Divisive" Politics & "Attacks on Patriotism" (very long)
The Donkey ("The Raven" parody)
Powered by
Movable Type 2.64